Preparation: 15 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 150 g of millet (you can have millet ground in an organic food shop, or alternatively, millet semolina or whole grain millet can be used)
- 700 ml of water
- 3 Golden Delicious apples cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp of hulled hemp seeds
- 1 Golden Delicious apple cut into smaller pieces, for decoration
- ½ a tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp Bourbon vanilla
- 30 g of finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp of hazelnut cream
Boil the millet for about 10 minutes in 700 ml of water. Add the apples and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the hemp seeds, mix and divide into portions. For the decoration: soften the small apple cubes in 50 ml of water for 5 minutes. Toast the hazelnuts in a non-stick pan without oil until they let off a good aroma; add 1-2 tablespoons of honey, stir and remove the pan from the heat. Add the seared apples and caramelized hazelnuts to the millet porridge, then the cinnamon, vanilla and hazelnut cream. Serve with a smile.
“My three children love this millet porridge. Sometimes while we’re having the meal, we also read the fairy tale 'The Sweet Porridge ' by the Grimm brothers. When they were young, I made the porridge early in the morning and kept it in glass jars. It's perfect when you need something to eat and you’re not at home, and very healthy too!"
Hemp seeds are a natural source of omega 3. Millet contains iron and silicon, hazelnuts contain healthy fats, proteins and calcium, but it is best to avoid giving them to very young children because there is a risk of choking on them.